Minimum Daily Package Rate (MDPR)
The Tourism Council of Bhutan (TCB) is an independent authority and highest decision-making body on all matters related to tourism and its management in Bhutan. It regulates all tourism related activities in the Country. All the Bhutanese travel agencies & Bhutanese tour operators are registered with them, and they fix the Minimum Daily Package Rate and Bhutan Tourist Taxes or Sustainable Development fee.
MDPR of USD 200/250, including SDF of USD 65, shall be imposed in accordance with the Tourism Rules and Regulation 2017 (TRR 2017) and Tourism Levy Act 2020
MDPR during Peak Season-March, April, May, September, October and November:
- For a group of 3 persons or more, the minimum daily package rate of US$ 250 per night halt per person
- For a group of 2 persons, the minimum daily package rate of US$ 280 per night halt per person (daily package rate of US $ 250 +surcharge US $ 30)
- For a lone traveller, the minimum daily package rate of US $ 290 per night halt (daily package rate of US $ 250 +surcharge US $ 40)
MDPR during Lean season- January, February, June, July, August and December:
- For a group of 3 persons or more, the minimum daily package rate of US$200 per night halt per person.
- For a group of 2 persons, the minimum daily package rate of US$230 per night halt per person (daily package rate of US $ 200 +surcharge US $ 30).
- For a single traveller, the minimum daily package rate of US$240 per night halt (daily package rate of US $ 200 +surcharge US $ 40).
The above tour cost is
inclusive of the following:
Government Royalty of US$65 per night per person
sharing hotel Rooms at 3 star hotels
Meals at 3 star hotels
speaking tour guides
(tea, coffee and snacks)
transfers and sightseeing/treks/tours within Bhutan
ponies and pack animals on treks
equipment and haulage for trekking tours
entrance fees to museums and monuments
internal taxes and charges
The rates given above are applicable
per tourist per night halt in Bhutan. On the day of departure, the local Bhutan
tour operators / Bhutan travel agents’ obligation shall be limited to breakfast
The following is not included in the MDPR:
fee US $40 each (must be paid in advance with tour cost).
insurance (recommended but not available in Bhutan)
Room supplements US$ 40 per room per night (optional)
personal expenses, calls overseas, laundry, etc.
Discount on Tour Prices:
- There is no charge for CHILDREN under 5 years of age. However, CHILDREN between the ages of 5 to 12 years accompanied by elders/guardians shall be given a discount of 50% on US$ 185 (250-65): US$ 92.5. Total MDPR US$ 157.5 (92.5+ 65).
- Full time Students below the age of 25 years holding valid identity cards from their academic institutions shall be given a 25% discount on US$ 185 (250-65): US$ 46.25. Total MDPR US$ 203.75 (138.75+ 65).
- A discount of 50% on (MDPR-SDF) shall be given to one person in a group of 11 to 15 persons.
- A discount 100% on (MDPR-SDF) shall be given to one member in a group exceeding 16 persons.